Alaffia Skincare Demo
November 1, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Healthy Living is proud to welcome Alaffia for a demo featuring their skincare products on Wednesday, November 1st from 11am-2pm.
From their website:
Now, more than ever before, it is important for all of us to make decisions that take into consideration the well-being of the generations to come. To us, sustainable means making choices and actions that improve current and future living conditions for our communities while maintaining the cultural and bio-diversities of our planet, including:
- Using sustainably harvested and traditionally extracted unrefined ingredients in our skin and hair care products.
- Providing fair wages and prices to our cooperative members and farmers.
- Dedicating 10% of sales proceeds to Alaffia Empowerment Projects in West Africa.
- Committing to cruelty-free practices, including not testing our products on animals.
The motivation to commit to these principles comes from the hope that our actions will:
- Improve current living standards and promote gender equality and feelings of self-worth for individuals in our communities.
- Break the cycle of poverty in Africa and preserve indigenous resources and knowledge for future generations.
- Increase awareness of how individual actions and choices affect communities worldwide.
Our efforts to be environmentally sustainable are not limited to our cooperatives in West Africa. In Olympia, Washington we use the raw ingredients from Togo to produce our finished products by hand in small batches, which helps us to reduce energy consumption and increase quality. We also make careful packaging choices. We use glass wherever possible and easily recyclable HDPE and PETE plastics only for products too heavy for glass packaging. We source our packaging as close geographically to our facility as possible. In addition, our folding cartons and shipping cartons are made just 25 miles from our facility and printed in Seattle. All of these efforts help reduce our carbon consumption.