Benefits of VT Grass-Fed Beef
Call us meat nerds or grass geeks, we’re fine with that, because we get excited learning from our farmers why the fat cover on a side of beef is sometimes a golden yellow (from carotenoids in pasture grasses). We enjoy standing in a pasture, looking through a refractometer to conduct a Brix test (measuring the sugar content of pasture grasses). After all, delicious grass drives these four-legged lawn-mowers and creates great beef. At Healthy Living we take great pride in offering local, pasture-raised beef that will be enjoyed by our guests.
A decade ago, there were only about 50 grass-fed-cattle operations left in the United States. Now there are thousands and growing – and those raising beef destined for Healthy Living are just miles from our stores!
So, what are the Benefits?
To your Health:
– Compared with commercial products, more “good” fats, and fewer “bad” fats.
– Richer in antioxidants; including vitamins E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C.
– About twice as many omega-threes as typical grain-fed steak.
(Analysis from Union of Concerned Scientists and Nutrition Journal)
To the Environment and Community:
– Healthy land, open pastures, green spaces
– Lower impact – less fossil fuel used in transportation and in grain production and transit
– Carbon reduction through natural sequestration services provided by healthy grasslands
– Increased wildlife habitat
– Economic – more of your dollar stays local
Do you have questions? Ask the butcher! Our friendly and talented butchers are happy to answer questions and custom cut anything you might need. We also can accomodate most special order requests as well with lead time. Call us at (802) 863 – 2569 and ask for the Butcher Shop!