Fun, Healthy, and Delicious Ways to Start the New Year
Bye, bye, holidays! You were awesome but … time to get back to reality!
Can you believe the holidays are behind us? I hope you had as much fun as I did! Surrounded by family and friends, eating delicious homemade dinners and yummy treats—it’s what makes this time of year so special. As we start 2023 and life begins to go back to normal, I love thinking about ways to make this new year as healthy, exciting, and tasty as possible!
Dress Up (Your Food)
- Fresh ingredients plus interesting flavors and textures are the way to go. Take kale, for instance. I absolutely LOVE kale but that doesn’t mean I just eat it plain. Combining finely chopped lacinato kale with nuts, dried fruits, and a little bit of tang from the dressing is a cold-weather comfort I keep going back to. That’s why we included one of my favorite kale recipes below!
- And to keep things exciting all winter long, variety in how we prepare foods is so important. Staying with kale, I love eating this superfood cooked too. Sautéed with extra virgin olive oil, fresh minced garlic, and a pinch of salt, or even baked into a crunchy chip with a hint of cayenne and a squeeze of fresh lime juice, kale proves that some of our healthiest foods are also our most versatile.
- In the chilly months, we spend more time indoors. While a lot of us thrive during the cozy season, germs do too. Foods, juices, and supplements rich in antioxidants are so important for protecting our bodies. Vitamin C is my seasonal go-to: it not only boosts our immune systems but research shows that it helps prevent chronic illnesses like heart disease and high blood pressure.*
- Have you noticed Nordic Naturals Vitamin C Gummies on our shelves? We have lots of Vitamin C products that I adore and these are one of them. They’re non-GMO verified, vegan certified, and good for ages 4+ so you and your kids can share this healthy habit. Plus, Nordic Natural is a family-owned business, which is what we’re all about!
While the holidays were amazing, I also appreciate this wonderful calm we feel as the new year begins. Starting fresh means eating fresh and finding fun ways to stay healthy all year long. Let me know how your wellness journeys are going and, of course, how we can help!
Happiest of New Years,
Winter Kale Salad
- 1 Bunch of Washed Lacinato Kale
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Large Delicata Squash
- 2T Cider Vinegar
- 2T Lemon Juice
- 1T Honey
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds, Toasted
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- Chevre, as much as you like!!
- For the kale, remove the rib and thinly slice the leaves. Place the greens in a medium bowl and toss with a little salt and olive oil. Lightly massage the greens to tenderize. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Halve and seed the delicata. Slice half-inch pieces. Toss with about 2T olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, flipping after about 10 minutes, until both sides look toasty and the squash is tender. Cool to room temp.
- In a small bowl make the dressing, stirring together 4T olive oil, honey, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cranberries, toasted nuts, and dressing to the kale. Add the squash and toss lightly! Gently garnish with as much chevre as you like.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.