A Healthier Oatmeal Cookie
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed tightly
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water (from raisins…see directions)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried dates or figs, dried currants or any other yummy additions you like!
Preheat your oven to 350º F. In a small bowl soak the raisins in warm water. It is best to do this step 20 minutes in advance. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Mix together the butter, brown sugar, honey, egg and water (sourced from the bowl with the raisins) thoroughly. Sift together the dry ingredients then stir in the oats. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Add the raisins, making sure to drain them of any excess water, and any additional ingredients you’ve chosen. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Posted in: Dessert