Beyond Sausage & Veggie Grilled Flatbread with Fresh Pecorino
1 cup bread flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 packet fast acting yeast
1 cup whole milk
½ teaspoon raw sugar
1 tablespoon California Olive Ranch olive oil for brushing prior to grilling
For the toppings:
1 cup beyond sausage, seared and cooled if desired
1 cups shredded Maplebrook mozzarella cheese
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup fresh oregano, chopped
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 Cup California Oilve Ranch olive oil
Freshly grated Pecorino or Parmesan- or both- and coarse sea salt for topping
- If making your own dough, combine the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl or bowl for your standing mixer. (If using pre-made, then roll out your dough to desired thickness.)
- Combine the milk with the sugar and microwave for about 30 seconds to warm it slightly. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then add the yeast packet.
- Allow the yeast to proof for 1-2 minutes. You should see a bubbly foam forming. If this does not occur, your yeast may be old or no longer active.
- Once the yeast has proofed, you can add it to your flour mixture and knead using the dough hook attachment or by hand for about 5-6 minutes.
- The dough should be soft and stick to itself. If it feels dry, you can add 1 tablespoon of water as needed until the desired consistency is reached. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rise for about 1-2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Ready the grill, you want it at medium-high heat.
- Once the dough is done proofing, divide it into 3 equal parts. Using a rolling pin, roll them out until about 1/8 inch thick. Brush with some olive oil and sprinkle on some salt before adding onto the grill.
- Gently place onto the grill (using a pizza paddle helps) and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until charred and bubbled up.
- Towards the end of cooking the second side, add on the shredded mozzarella cheese, and then the Beyond Sausage.
- Remove from the grill, and then add your sliced tomatoes, chopped herbs, and fresh pecorino or parmesan cheese. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sea salt before serving. Then, repeat with the remaining 2 flatbreads.