Buffalo Mac And Cheese
Cooked chicken breast
2 tsp olive oil
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
¼ cup buffalo sauce
1 pound pasta, penne rigate
Salt to taste
2 ½ Tbsp butter
2 ½ Tbsp all purpose flour
Buffalo Mac and Cheese
1 Tbsp butter
¼ cup yellow onion, small diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ½ cups half and half
⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
Prepared roux (use all)
2 ½ cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ¼ tsp mustard powder
Prepared chicken breast (use all)
1 pound pasta cooked
¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken Breast
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat the chicken breast with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the breast on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Medium dice the cooked chicken and place in a small mixing bowl. Toss the chicken together with the buffalo sauce. Set aside.
For the Pasta
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil, add salt to taste. Add pasta to the boiling water and stir.
- Boil pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally for 11 minutes. Remove the pasta from heat and drain. Rinse with cold water. Set aside.
For the Roux
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour to reach a smooth consistency.
- Continue to stir the roux and cook over low heat for five minutes. Remove the roux from heat.
Buffalo Mac and Cheese (Let’s put it all together!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sweat onions and garlic in butter. Add half and half and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in all of the roux and reduce heat to low. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheddar. Once the cheddar is melted, add the cayenne pepper and mustard powder. Mix well and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine cheese sauce, all of the diced buffalo chicken, and pasta. Mix until the pasta is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with blue cheese crumbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot.