Chicken and White Bean Chili
For the cooked chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
For the Chicken Chili
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, diced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 8oz great northern beans(cooked), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, small diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder, salt free
- ¼ teaspoon hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed, whole
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom seed, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
Method for the Cooked Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 13X9 inch sheet pan.
- Coat chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the sheet pan and bake until the chicken is cooked all the way through to a temperature of 165, about 30-35 minutes.
- Diced when cool enough to handle. Set aside.
Method for the Chicken Chili
- Cook chicken ahead of time per above instruction.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, jalapenos, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cardamom, and sugar. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked chicken, stock, and crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice to finish.