Djuvec (Eggplant Stew)
- 3 large, glossy eggplants
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 8 oz jar roasted red pepper
- 1 cup parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 TB sugar
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB rice vinegar
A popular entree from our cafe.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush eggplant with olive oil, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast until browned. Set aside to cool. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is soft. Add all other ingredients except for parsley and eggplant. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, let cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold in eggplant and parsley, heat through.