Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp double acting baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
⅓ cup sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
⅓ cup poppy seeds
1 stick butter, very cold
⅔ cup buttermilk
½ cup heavy cream
All purpose flour, as needed for dusting
For the glaze
⅓ cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp orange juice
1 tsp lemon juice
For the Scones
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the flour, double acting baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and sugar into a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and mix until combined.
- Grate butter over dry ingredients, occasionally tossing with the dry mix to keep the butter from clumping together.
- Add the buttermilk and heavy cream, stir gently until the mixture is uniformly moistened.
- Place dough on a floured table, gently knead until it comes together. Round dough into a circle about ¾ inch thick. Cut into 7 even wedges.
- Place the wedges on a sheet pan, 2 inches apart and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let the scones cool completely before putting the glaze on top.
For the Glaze
- Mix the confectioners’ sugar, orange juice and lemon juice together in a small bowl until combined.
- Drizzle over the cooled scones.