Lemon Pound Cake
For the cake:
1 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
⅓ cup milk
zest of one lemon
non-stick cooking spray, as needed
For the syrup:
2 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup sugar
Method for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Lightly spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray until evenly coated.
- Using a beater or electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a medium sized bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and half of the flour to the butter mixture. Mix until almost completely combined.
- Add half the milk and mix.
- Stir in the remaining milk and flour and mix until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Method for the syrup:
- Combine lemon juice and sugar into a small saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- While the pound cake is still warm, loosen from sides of pan and pour syrup evenly on the cake.
- Allow cake to cool before serving.