Russell’s Gluten Free Chocolate Birthday Cake
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- You can use your fat of choice (1/2 cup total, such as 1/4 cup each of butter & coconut oil )
- You can use any sweetener you like (3/4 cup total, such as, 1/2 cup coconut sugar palm sugar & 1/4 cup maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (you can use dairy or other nondairy milk of your choice)
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- 1 avocado
- 2 TBS coconut oil at room temp
- 2-3 TBS cocoa powder
- A splash of vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of raw honey or maple syrup or any sweetener of your choice: such as 2-3 pitted dates.)
This recipe was created by Healthy Living Saratoga Guest Mary Colby. She won our March 2015 Demo Center Recipe Contest with this lovely gluten-free chocolate cake and frosting!
My inspiration for this awesome gluten free chocolate cake is my Great Nephew, Russell. Russell is 4 1/2 years old and has celiac disease. I wanted to create a cake for him that is real food and healthy. He loves chocolate! I hope you try this delicious cake for your loved ones. -Aunt Mary
Preheat oven to 350. In a food processor or with a hand mixer, beat the eggs until lighter yellow. Add the sweetener, vanilla, coffee (if adding), and coconut oil/butter, and beat to combine. Add the dry ingredients and beat to combine thoroughly (approx. 30 seconds). Pour batter into a Bundt pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray (preferably coconut oil spray). Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes then turn out onto platter.
Place all frosting ingredients into blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust sweetness to your liking.
Mary’s Suggestion: “After frosting the cake, I like to sprinkle with nuts and seeds such as pumpkin (pepitos); flax; hemp; chia; pistachios, or other nuts, etc. Also, you can double the recipe if you want more frosting (who doesn’t!)”