Split Pea, Fennel and Spinach Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped fennel bulb (fronds and outer layer removed)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add fennel and onion, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in garlic, and continue to cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add wine and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add split peas, fennel seeds, thyme, bay leaf, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until the split peas are tender; about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Place soup in a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Posted in: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian