West African Yam and Peanut Stew
1 cup onions, medium dice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup green bell pepper, medium dice
½ Tbsp garlic, minced
½ Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
½ tsp each: cumin, cinnamon, chili flake, chili powder, turmeric
¾ tsp coriander
½ tsp salt
2 cups yams, large dice
1 ½ tsp tamari
1 small can diced tomatoes
¾ tsp sugar
¼ cup peanuts
1 Tbsp chickpea flour
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot, saute onions in oil over medium-high heat until they are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add green pepper, garlic, ginger, and spices. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add yams, tamari, and just enough water to cover all of the ingredients. Simmer until yams are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and sugar. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Place peanuts in a food processor with chickpea flour and 1 ½ Tbsp of water. Puree until combined but not smooth.
- Add puree to the stew and simmer until thickened.
- Add cilantro and adjust seasonings to taste.
Posted in: Gluten-Free, Soups and Stews, Vegan