Vegan Margarita Pizza with Garlic Sauce
Believe it or not, homemade pizza can be a quick and easy weeknight meal with a little help from our friends at the Red Hen Baking Company. Meet Pizzaz – a perfectly baked, light pizza crust made with 100% local ingredients. They’re delivered fresh daily, but can also be frozen if you’re shopping on Sunday and eating on Thursday.
In comes a not so typical vegetarian pizza. A white garlic sauce made with cashews takes this margarita flatbread to a whole new level. It’s flavorful, unique and incredibly satisfying. It wouldn’t be a pizza without cheese, so sprinkle some non-dairy mozzarella (or the real deal) on top. Move over cheese-less vegan pizza!
White Garlic Sauce
¾ C raw cashews
¾ C non-dairy unsweetened milk
1 T arrowroot powder
1 T olive oil
2 t garlic powder
2 t onion powder
1 t Italian herb blend
1 ½ T nutritional yeast
2 t apple cider vinegar
1 t Himalayan salt
Large dash black pepper
1 Red Hen Pizza Crust
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ C fresh basil, thinly sliced
1 C Daiya vegan cheese
Olive oil for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a high-speed blender, blend all of the white garlic sauce ingredients until smooth. See NOTE below for alternative method.
3. Lightly brush olive oil on pizza crust. Then, generously drizzle white garlic sauce on pizza crust and spread evenly.
4. Spread basil then tomatoes on pizza. Evenly sprinkly Daiya on top.
5. Bake for 7 – 8 minutes until cheese is melted.
NOTE – If you do not have a high-powered blender like a Vita Mix, cashews can be soaked for 30 minutes in water. Rinse and drain well before blending. If soaking cashews, use only 2/3 C non-dairy unsweetened milk.
This blog post was written by Healthy Living Taste Maker Mindy Elmergreen. Mindy teaches yoga at Tapna Yoga in Burlington. When she’s not in the studio, you’ll often find her in our cafe enjoying juices & smoothies with her adorable sons!