Blood Orange and Olive Salad with Radishes
- 4 blood oranges
- 1 small red onion, in fine slivers
- Handful of oil-cured black olives, pitted
- 5-6 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 anchovy filets, chopped (optional)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 TB red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
A small serving of this intensely flavored salad goes a long way toward perking up a meal.
Using a sharp paring knife, peel the skin off of the oranges, stem to blossom end, cutting deep enough to remove the outer layer of membrane. Then, holding the peeled orange over a bowl, cut on both sides of every segment to separate fruit, letting juices and segments drop into bowl. Discard membrane. Repeat with remaining oranges. Add the onion, olives, radishes and anchovies, if using. Toss with vinegar, oil and the dried oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.