2 lbs ground beef
2 cups beef or pork stock
2 cans (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 large onion, small diced
¼ cup red wine
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Serve this sauce over your favorite pasta for a rich and satisfying entree!
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ground beef. Break up the beef with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Stir frequently as the beef browns to make sure it’s being cooked evenly.
- Once there are no pink pieces left and the meat has been fully browned remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain off and dispose of any remaining fat.
- In the same pot the meat was cooked in, over medium heat, sauté the onions until they are translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and basil, cook for another minute.
- Add the red wine. Cook until the wine until it has been reduced completely and only a thick syrup coats the pan.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stock. Season with salt, pepper, sugar, and nutmeg.
- Stir in cooked meat and bring sauce to simmer. Allow to simmer for 45-60 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.