Celery Root & Leek Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 medium), white and light green parts only
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 1/2 pounds celery root, also known as celeriac (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
In large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add leek and garlic, and sauté until the leeks are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped potatoes, celery root and thyme. Stir the vegetables, and then add the stock. Bring the soup to a boil, cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are fork tender.
Add the thyme, sea salt and pepper to taste. Turn off stove and puree soup with an immersion blender or transfer to blender.