- 1 1/2 pounds sweet cherries , (5 cups), pitted (see Tip)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kirsch , or brandy (optional)
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats , (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter , cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped slivered almonds , or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream , or nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish (or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart dish) with cooking spray.
To make the filling: Combine cherries, raspberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and kirsch or brandy (if using) in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Place the filling in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the topping: Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until dry ingredients are moistened.
When the filling has baked for 20 minutes, stir it and sprinkle the topping evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with almonds (or walnuts). Bake, uncovered, until fruit is bubbly and tender and topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream (or frozen yogurt), if desired.