Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, pork, turkey, or beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- ⅔ cups shittake mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
- 1 (8-ounce) can whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head iceburg lettuce
- 4 oz thin rice noodles
- 1 liter canola oil, for frying rice noodles
Heat Canola oil to 350 in a separate pot for frying the rice noodles.
While the oil for the rice noodles are heating, in a separate saute pan: heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the meat as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Stir in garlic, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger and Sriracha until onions have become translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chestnuts, mushrooms, green onions until tender, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Once the canola oil is hot, drop the rice noodles in, fry until they are crispy. They take about 10 seconds or less–They cook quick! Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels, to remove excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style. Top with fried rice noodles.