Spicy Caribbean Black Beans with Pineapple
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 15-oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut chips, toasted
These Caribbean black beans are both spicy and spice-ful! Ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and jalapeno provide warmth and heat while the double dose of pineapple (both fresh and juice) and coconut chips give the dish an unmistakable- and delectable- deep tropical flavor.
Sauté onion with olive oil in soup pot over medium heat until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, for 3-5 more minutes or until onions are very soft. Stir in beans, pineapple juice, and pineapple, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture slightly thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve topped with coconut chips.