Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 cup coconut milk (or sub light coconut milk canned or almond milk)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (or granulated)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut or canola oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 lemon (zest all, juice of half)
Serves 10-12 cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper or parchment liners.
Whisk together the almond or coconut milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
Add the sugar, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract to the milk and beat until foamy.
Next, carefully add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Beat until no large lumps remain, then fold in strawberries.
Carefully scoop batter into the cupcake holders, filling 3/4 way full. Bake for about 28-32 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let rest in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to let cool completely. (I chilled mine in the fridge).
Frost cupcakes as soon as they’re cooled
Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for several days.