Whole Wheat Pasta with Spicy North African Sauce
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- Large pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB harissa paste
- 8 oz thin whole wheat pasta
- 1 small bunch kale, deveined
- 1/2 cup pitted provencal olives
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Zest of one lemon
Perfect for a side dish or light main dish. Hearty whole wheat pasta and kale with a zesty sauce.
While your pot of water is heating for the pasta, make a paste with the garlic and salt with a mortar and pestle. In a small bowl, whisk garlic paste, harissa and olive oil. Set aside. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Add the kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces, to the pasta water during the last 15 seconds or so, just to lightly cook the kale. Drain pasta and kale, set aside. Using the empty pasta pot, heat half of the harissa mixture, when warmed add the pasta, kale and rest of ingredients. Heat gently for a minute or so, turn out onto a platter and drizzle with rest of the harissa oil mixture.