1 ½ cups all purpose flour
⅔ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
Whoopie Pie Filling
10 Tbsp butter
1 ⅓ cup confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ½ Tbsp whole milk
To make the whoopie pies
- Preheat oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Sift together flour and cocoa powder into a small bowl. Stir in the baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add ⅓ of the dry mix to the the butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Add ½ of the milk and mix just until incorporated.
- Continue alternating dry and wet until all incorporated.
- Scoop the batter with a 2 oz scoop onto the parchment lined baking sheet. You should get about 14 scoops total.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 7 minutes more. Be careful not to overbake.
- Cool pie disks completely before filling.
To make the filling
- Mix all of the ingredients in a mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add more milk as needed to reach a spreadable consistency.
- Use a 2 oz scoop to portion out the frosting into the whoopie pies.
To assemble the pies
- Spread a 2 oz scoop of filling on the flat sides of half of cakes that have been cooled down. Top with remaining cakes, having the flat side in touching the frosting.