Black Bean Sweet Potato Pie
2 ½ cups sweet potatoes, small diced
½ cups yellow onions, small diced
½ cups green bell pepper, small diced
⅓ tsp fresh garlic, chopped
⅓ tsp chili powder, salt free
⅓ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 pinch cayenne pepper
¼ cup diced tomatoes
¼ cup crushed tomatoes
¼ cup canned chopped green chilies
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ tsp lime juice
2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded, divided into thirds
9 each 6 inch yellow corn tortillas
Olive oil, as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking spray, as needed
- Preheat oven to 450°. Coat diced sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Saute onions, peppers, and garlic with olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato products and green chilies. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Add black beans, roasted potatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. Mix until combined.
- Spray a deep 9×9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 3 tortilla shells along the bottom of the dish. On top of the tortillas, layer half of the bean mix. Top the bean mix with ⅓ of the cheddar cheese. Repeat this step for a second layer.
- Lay out the last 3 tortilla shells over the second layer of cheese. Top with the last cheddar cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until the cheese is browned, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.