Carrot and Coconut Scones
Yields: 6 scones
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup cream heavy cream
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup carrot puree
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
Method for the scones
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of small peas throughout the mixture.
- Add the carrots and shredded coconut and stir to combine.
- Stir in the buttermilk and heavy cream until it is combined. Do your best to not overwork the dough, just mixing enough to bring it together.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Gently shape the dough into a 6 inch circle. Cut the circle into 6 triangles (like a pie).
- Place the triangles on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 14-20 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Once the scones have cooled, drizzle with the lemon and orange glaze.
Method for the glaze
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the glaze ingredients until smooth.