Freekeh Tabouli Salad
- 1 cup freekeh, cracked or whole
- 2 1/2 cups water (for cracked freekeh) or 3 cups (for whole)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 TB minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed if canned
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Using freekeh, an ancient grain, in this tabouli salad raises the dish’s fiber content dramatically! Also, you can choose to use cracked freekeh if you like the salad a little soft, and whole freekeh if you like it to be chewy.
For cracked freekeh, add 1 cup of freekeh to 2 and a half cups of water and boil on the stove for 15 minutes or until your freekeh is ready. For wholegrain freekeh, add 1 cup of freekeh to 3 cups of water, boil on the stove for 35 minutes or until your grain is ready. Cool to room temperature then toss with the olive oil and lemon juice. Add chopped vegetables, garbanzos and fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss well. Serve at room temperature.