Penne with Summer Squash, Basil and Ricotta
- 1 lb small young zucchini
- 1 lb small young yellow squash
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb penne
- 12 oz fresh ricotta
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Snap up some baby squash at the local farmer’s market or pick your own while they are still small to make this light and easy summer meal.
Trim the squash, then blanch whole in boiling heavily salted water for about 2 minutes. Drain, cool, and slice at an angle, about 12” thick. Heat the olive oil and garlic in a heavy saucepan and cook until the garlic is softened. Add the squash slices and cook, tossing, for 4-5 minutes over low heat. Cook the penne in boiling salted water until al dente, drain well. Add to the squash, then crumble in the ricotta. Season with salt and pepper and top with the fresh chopped basil and Parmesan.