Vietnamese Spring Rolls
- 1 package rice spring roll wrappers
- 2 blocks marinated tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 head of lettuce, sliced very thin
- 1/2 lb. mung bean sprouts
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 10 sprigs mint
- 2 large carrots, cut into thin strips
- Rice wine vinegar (for marinating the carrots)
Place sliced carrots in the rice wine vinegar (enough to just cover) and marinate 1/2 hour. For the tofu, you can buy blocks of marinated tofu or make your own, we like “Soy Vey” Very Very Teriyaki Sauce or Mirin with fresh ginger. In a large bowl. Combine all of the veggies with fish or soy sauce and set aside. In a medium saucepan, bring about 3 cups of water to a low boil. Assemble spring rolls in batches of about 4 at a time. Briefly immerse each wrapper in water, for 3 seconds, then lay them flat on a cutting board. Let cool for a few seconds. Place 3 tablespoons of veggies & 1-2 strips of tofu in the center of each wrapper. Tuck in the two ends and roll like an egg roll. Wrappers are sticky and will stick together with no help. Serve cold with sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Makes about 15 spring rolls.