- 1 recipe home made pie pastry
- 5 apples (tart apples are best: granny smiths, ginger gold, pink lady, or a mix of your favorites) cored and grated on a box grater (you can opt to leave the peels on or off)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch salt
Perfect for fall when apples are in peak season, serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
Preheat the oven to 400º F.
In a large mixing bowl combine the grated apples, cinnamon, sugar, flour, lemon zest and juice, nutmeg and melted butter. Toss until the apples are evenly coated. Let the mixture sit and marinate while you roll out your crusts. Roll out the crust in a rectangular or oval shape. You can cut either squares or circles for the turnovers, they should be about 6 inches in across. In the center of each piece of dough place about 1/4-1/3 cup of filling. Brush the edges of the crust lightly with water and then fold the crust in half, sealing the filling inside. Use a fork to press the edge together all the way around the outside (this helps them from bursting open in the oven.
Place the finished turnovers on a lined baking tray. Cut a small vent in the top of each one and place the tray in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the turnovers are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Cool for at least 1 hour before eating.