Blueberry Bread Pudding
Makes 10 pieces
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 cups challah bread or croissants, cubed (if you are using challah bread remove the crust before cubing)
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- cooking spray, as needed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk together whole milk, heavy cream and lemon zest in a small pot over low heat. Heat until the mixture is hot, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, eggs, and sugar. Slowly add a small ladleful of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture while whisking well. Repeat this until the hot cream mixture is completely combined.
- Place the bread cubes into a well sprayed 8 x 10 baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top and stir lightly to distribute them.
- Pour the custard evenly over the top and then press down on the top to make sure all the bread is moistened.
- Cover with foil and let sit at least ½ hour for the bread to absorb the custard.
- Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes. You will know when the bread pudding is cooked when it puffs up and when no wet, unbaked custard is visible in the center when you press on it gently.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Let it cool and then place it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.