Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, small diced
- 1.5 lbs mushrooms, sliced (button or portobello mushrooms work great)
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, minced; or 1 Tbsp dry dill
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 qt chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 qt milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
Mushroom–soup lovers, this soup is for you! It’s hearty, and the fresh dill and parsley add plenty of flavor.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat and add the onions. Saute until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until juice is rendered out, about 7-8 minutes. Add the dill and paprika, and mix well.
- Add the flour and cook together over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure the flour does not burn.
- Add the stock and mix well with a whisk to get any flour clumps out. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the milk and return mixture to simmer. It should thicken as it is brought to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat, add the sour cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish with fresh chopped parsley.