- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk , or equivalent buttermilk powder
- 1 tablespoon butter , melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup drained canned corn kernels
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper , seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 425° F. Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet (or similar ovenproof skillet, see Tip) in the oven to heat.
Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk eggs, buttermilk, butter and honey in a medium bowl. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula. Stir in corn, onion, tomato, garlic and jalapeno.
Remove the skillet from the oven and coat it with cooking spray. Pour in the batter, spreading evenly. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake the cornbread until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.