Wild Mushroom & Green Lentil Ragout
- Spanish Onion, sliced thin 3 cups
- Garlic, chopped fine 3T
- Sunflower Oil, 8T
- Lacinato/Dino kale, washed and sliced thin 4 cups
- Green Lentils, 1 cup
- Vegetable Stock, 1 qt.
- Thyme, picked and chopped fine, 4T
- Rosemary, chopped fine, 4T
- Oyster Mushrooms, 2 C raw
- Shiitake Mushroom, sliced 2 C raw
- Cremini Mushroom, quartered, 2 C raw
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper, ground
“Thanksgiving is always about the sides in our house. Of course, all of the classics: mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, brussels, and carrots. And I love to introduce new flavors, too. This vegan ragout has all the good Fall vibes–earthy, comforting, and healthy.”
—Chef Mike, Healthy Living Culinary Director
- Sauté the mushrooms in half of the sunflower oil. Season with salt and pepper then transfer to a container lined with a paper towel and let cool.
- In a large sauce pot, sweat out the onions and garlic in the rest of the sunflower oil until they begin to caramelize.
- Once the onions are caramelized, add the kale and mix until lightly wilted. Season with salt.
- Add the lentils, chopped herbs, and vegetable stock. Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, then add the mushrooms to the pot. Let cook for 5 minutes, then adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.