- 2 cups Monterey jack or cheddar cheese; shredded
- 4-6 medium flour tortillas
- 1-2 quarts vegetable oil; for frying
- 1 recipe Spiced Chicken Filling (recipe to follow)
- 1 recipe Creamy Guacamole (recipe to follow)
- Sour Cream and Salsa; to serve
- 8 avocados; mashed
- 1/4 -1/2 small red onion; finely minced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro; washed, dried, and finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Spiced Chicken Filling
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 onion; small dice
- 2 bell peppers; small dice
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro; chopped
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Olive Oil ; as needed
A favorite of kids and grown ups alike!
Preheat fry oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 375 degrees F. Start assembling your chimichangas by laying out a tortilla on a flat work surface. Pile about 1 cup worth of chicken filling just off center and top with about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Start rolling into a burrito shape by first covering the pile of chicken with the short end of the tortilla, then fold in both ends, and continue rolling straight until a burrito is formed. Secure with toothpicks and lower into the preheated fry oil. Fry 4-6 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Serve with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and rub your chicken generously with olive oil. Place thighs on a sheet tray and sprinkle liberally with all of the spices. Roast until golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes, or until an internal temperature reading reaches 165 degrees F. Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add a small amount of olive oil. Sweat the onion and pepper until tender and slightly sweetened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and shred cooled chicken thighs into small pieces, discarding bones and skin. Add the chicken and the cilantro to the pan and season with more salt and pepper, as needed.
Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mash together until combined. Texture should be smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.