Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or 1/3 cup apple sauce and 1 tablespoon of oil)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a muffin tin. In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center and add canola oil, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Mix just until all wet ingredients are moistened. About 1/2 way through mixing add the cranberries and nuts.
Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 23 to 27 minutes, until lightly browned on top and a toothpick or knife inserted through the center comes out clean. When cool enough to handle, transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.