Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- 1.5 lbs russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1.5 lbs sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ tablespoon dairy free margarine
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and small diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- 8 oz button mushrooms, large diced
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, julienned and soaked
- 1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon red wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups red lentils
- 1.5 cups raw chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 sprig rosemary, minced
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine sweet potatoes and russet potatoes in a large pot with heavily salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain potatoes. Add margarine, salt and pepper. Mash until smooth, set aside.
In a separate pot, add chickpeas and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 1 ½ hours. Set aside.
In a medium sized pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, on medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until they are slightly soft. Add garlic, thyme, and coriander. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Add mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and vinegar. Cook for an additional ten minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and cook for five more minutes, then add vegetable stock. Add the lentils and cook until they are soft and the base is slightly thickened and reduced, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the cooked chickpeas and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large casserole dish.
Spread mashed potatoes over the top of vegetable mixture.
In a separate small bowl, mix rosemary leaves and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Sprinkle the rosemary over the mashed potatoes. Place the dish in the oven for 10 minutes.