Cannellini Beans with Ruby Chard and Tomatoes
- 2 lbs ruby chard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped or a 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 16 oz cans cannellini beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Kalamata or provenceolives, chopped, optional
- Fresh basil or other herb, chopped, optional
- Grated fresh parmesan or other grating cheese, optional
What a nice way to use up garden chard or the big beautiful bundles we have from local farmers. This is an easy dinner that is packed full of flavor and earthy charm. Include a crusty baguette and red wine for a fabulous meal.
Trim chard leaves from larger stems, leaving thinner stems intact. Discard large stems or save for another use. Slice leaves in 2 inch wide strips. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add chard, return to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until barely tender. Drain well. Heat oil in a large pot, add onion slices, garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and juices, bring to a simmer. Add cannellini beans and simmer for an additional 3 minutes. Add chard and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped olives, or grated cheese if desired.