Steak & Purple-Potato Salad
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , divided
- 1 clove garlic , mashed into a paste
- 8 ounces sirloin steak , trimmed
- 3/4 pound small purple potatoes , scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large radishes , sliced
- 3 scallions , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Mix lime juice, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic in a small bowl to form a paste; rub onto both sides of steak. Refrigerate the steak.
Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain, let cool for 10 minutes, then quarter.
While the potatoes cool, preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack or pan (see Tip). Grill the steak, turning once, until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140°F, about 10 minutes total on the grill or 16 to 20 minutes in a grill pan. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Whisk vinegar, oil, cumin, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the steak and any accumulated juices, the potatoes, radishes, scallions and cilantro; gently toss to coat.