Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter; at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips of your choice
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
Adjust the oven rack to the top 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 300F. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat the sugars and butter together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches apart, on each of the baking sheets. Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Make about 20 cookies.