Citrus Parmesan Farro Salad
- 2 cups farro, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups water
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 medium organic orange, zest and juice
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano
- 1 TB white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup toasted almond slivers
- ½ cup crumbled chevre
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
A nice citrus-y grain salad for summer picnics!
Combine the farro, salt and water in a large pot over medium heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the farro is tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat, drain well and place on shallow sheet pan to cool. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, shallot, Parmesan, vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Place the cooled farro in a serving bowl. When ready to serve, add about ¾ of the dressing and the parsley. Toss well, adjusting salt and pepper to taste and adding more dressing as needed. Finish with chevre crumbles and toasted almonds.